Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Maniac Magee

I am reading Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. Maniac Magee grew up in a normal house with normal family until he was three. One day his parents left him with a babysitter and went into the city. On the way home they were killed in a high speed trolley crash and he was instantly an orphan. He was then sent to live with his aunt and uncle.



When I was reading I had a question, why did Maniac (then called Jeffry) hate his aunt and uncle and run away? Then I found that his aunt and uncle hate each other but they were Catholic and they do not believe in getting a divorce so they stayed together. They had two of everything and never talked. Jeffry got to the point that he could not take any more of the way they treated each other, so he ran away.


The main events were, Jeffery ran away and his new name is Maniac Magee. He saw a girl with a backpack he thought she was ruining away too but she was going to school. She lent him a book about four teenagers. Maniac Magee read the book all day and returned it. Then maniac saw a baseball game, a Red Socks game. Everyone said that McNab, a baseball player was a giant, I did not think so because he was only 5 foot 8 inches and 117 pounds. I think I will be bigger than that in just a few years and I am only 10 years old.

2 comments:

  1. Sean,

    This is a whole lot of summarizing! I know you can summarize, I want to see what you are thinking. This is a really great book, so I am curious about your thinking. I wonder if you didn't misread the part about the Red Sox. I am not sure, but I think I recall the team they were referring to was a kids team that happened to be called the Red Sox.

    Ms. Welker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean Ihave a question.
    Why is Jeffre called Maineack Mugy?

    by Jacob.

    ReplyDelete