I am reading Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. When I was reading I thought why did McNab throw a frog instead of a baseball? Then I thought McNab HATES to be beat and he wanted it to be inposidle for Maniac to catch the ball. Mainac tapped the frog when it was thrown to him, but MaNab thought the frog would just get squished and that would be the third strike and he would be out. Maniac was to this day the first one to hit a fast frog.
When I was reading I noticed that the town was split in two parts the east side and west side of town. I looked up when the book was written and it was in 1999. That was when I was born so that was when blacks and whites were treated equally. Then I thought,why did the author Jerry Spinelli want the town to be divided? That is when it occured to me that the book was supposed to have taken place before segregation, because there are several comments about white and blacks being separate. I am thankful that we have desegration today.
Sean,
ReplyDeleteI see evidence of some deep thinking and questioning in your post. Great work! I like that you noticed that the town was divided and went out of your way to figure it out. As you keep reading, I would like you to continue to think about the time period this is in. Are they a really segregated by law, or do blacks and whites just not hang out together?
Ms. Welker